When executing a marketing campaign on any social media platform it is important to understand the demographics of that particular platform. By doing so you can determine where your target market spends the most time and avoid wasting efforts on the wrong techniques. With this in mind, we thought we’d share some interesting stats and facts about Pinterest, one of the newer and most popular platforms.
- 15 percent of social media users are on Pinterest (Pew Research Center December 2012).
- One quarter of female social media users are on Pinterest.
- 80 percent of Pinterest users are female (Huffington Post 2012).
- Pinterest is most popular with women 18-49 who live in urban or suburban areas, with younger women being more engaged.
- 50 percent of Pinterest users have children.
- 28 percent of users are well off (household income of over 100,000 annually).
- In Canada…The demographics for Pinterest users in Canada vary slightly, but the overall growth rate reflects that seen in the United States.
- 66 percent of Canadian Pinterest users are female.
- 54 percent are 24 to 54 years of age.
- 38 percent have children.
- 35 percent of users have a household income of over 100,000 per year.
With the majority of users being females with disposable income, it isn’t any wonder why retailers and marketers have jumped on board the Pinterest train. The platform is great for visual brands and products. It is also a great place to for engagement and brand culture. Pinterest can be a powerful referer and marketing tool if used effectively. If your business, profession, or brand isn’t highly visual treat it as an opportunity to get creative and try different styles of sharing information. People who love Pinterest love it because it is a fun, visual way to plan, organize, and explore.
We hope this article helped you determine whether Pinterest is in your best interests!